Tuesday, March 23, 2010

For Real: American Idol Top Eleven

American Idol - Finals Week #2


1984 anyone? A little creepy with the very serious looking contestants standing in line in front of Ryan on the big screen, who is as usual attempting to make the non-dramatic dramatic. Ooh, my favorite unknown Idol announcer! Introduces the judges & Ryan in typical, somewhat out-of-place style. More lights than I remember from seasons past as Ryan starts the show.


"Lacey, if you're watching, we all know you were the worst last week so hopefully everybody is at peace." "Awwww," says the audience.


Top ten make the tour - one person tonight will not. Ellen seems to be very in tune with the show tonight...? She may need to focus a little more if she wants to stay afloat on the panel whilst not knowing diddly about music.


Storytime by Kara DioGuardi. Has anybody not blocked her voice out at this point? 8:04, let's just get on with it.


"[Being eliminated] tonight would rather be like having 6 numbers on a lottery ticket, and only getting 5," says Simon. Basically, whoever does not make it tonight will miss out on a big step that they will have so nearly taken. The stakes are high.


Billboard #1's tonight. This should be good...as a low level music industry employee I've had some good exposure to...wait Miley please...I'm writing. ... No, she's definitely invaded American Idol for the first time. This was inevitable. But wait...has Miley Cyrus ever hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100...no sir, she has not. She hit #2 with "Party in the USA" last year, but that's it.


Anyway, I've had some good exposure to the charts as I have to do a lot of data collection where I work. Will there be any Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson tonight? My guess is that a good chunk of tunes tonight won't be recognized by the general public - a lot of random songs snuck up to #1 in the 80's and 90's.


Miley. Is. So. Experienced.


Contestant: Lee Dewyze

Sometimes I try to compare myself to these contestants - Lee has an issue with stage presence. True statement. But, can you really picture what Lee would look like with "stage presence." Brighter eyes? Cheesy smile? I don't think it's his style...Lee's got his own style & it's not cheesiness. The sad eyes are part of the package.


The Letter. I used to hate this song as a kid because a guy 7 years older than me did it at my high school & placed it securely on my black list. Lee's version is creative, but it's boring me a little. I like the horns I suppose. He works well with the backgrounds...the John Mayer is coming through tonight as usual.


The audience goes wild...


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "You knocked it out of the park dude"

Ellen: Something about pens, no more ink, but the favorite pen is back. Cheers.

Kara: "You are finally owning the stage. The progress is tremendous. Can you feel the difference?" The audience apparently can.

Simon: "That was you doing something quite corny...it actually was. You sounded good...but that does not define you as a contemporary recording artist."


Interesting that Simon brought up the importance of being a recording artist this early in the competition...yeah, it's Billboard #1's, but it seems to me that these guys are still just trying to put on a good show just to make it to the last few weeks.


But Let's Be Real: If it wasn't clear before tonight, it should be now: Lee Dewyze is a top contender. Does it worry anybody that he's not really an amazing talent? I like him, but it's not because he's something I've never heard before. What It Is: B


Contestant: Paige Myles

Hiiii Paiiigge.

I have to give Paige props for last week...I really think that she was better than at least two of the contestants, which is saying a lot given her past on the live shows.


She's doing Against all Odds. If I remember correctly, this song has never been a success for an Idol.

Aha, well there's the pitchy Paige we all grudgingly endured through the semi-finals! I think I'm hearing a little Jordin Sparks in her voice...it may be the semi-annoying vibrato. I hear it in more than a few artists today - recording & otherwise. The difference is that Jordin somehow makes it work to her advantage. Paige & friends do not.


The problem is that Mariah's version of the song is so massively dramatic...shoving it into two minutes already ravishes it enough - when you put somebody as uncontrolled & incapable as Paige, it makes it that much worse.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "Really, honestly. I don't know if your voice is back or whatever, but that was terrible."

Ellen: "I'm gonna start with the positive - you didn't fall down." Followed by some other muttering nobody heard.

Kara: "Somewhere along the line you stopped competing." WORD. She goes on to call it the worst vocal of the season.

Simon: "It was like there were five of you singing that song, and it got progressively worse each one."


But Let's Be Real: Girl just isn't smart. There was no way she was going to do this song well. Noo wayy would that girl have made it work - it doesn't match anything about her. I don't think it matters how the rest of these contestants do - Paige just got to be done. What It Is: F


Contestant: Tim Urban

Tim is one of the guys that just chills in the middle for me. He's not bad but he doesn't seem to have quite enough to be a top 4 performer. I would like to have his hair though.


Crazy Little Thing Called Love. He looks good tonight. What are we working with here Tim...how many times did you practice that slide across the stage? Reminds me of myself as a freshman in high school. This is not bad at all, but it's a silly choice for somebody who has been accused of being boring. This song is much too straightforward for him to make any real progress.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "Everytime...we should be going like oh my god this is so dope. The best thing you did was the slide."

Ellen: "You have huge fans...but it felt to me like it was an audition for High School Musical. I don't if they're on 6 or 7 though."


Screaming girls, please.


Kara: "You didn't do much with it, you did't change up the melodies. You're not at that place yet. You're not established."


SCREAMING GIRLS I WILL GET HIS HAIR AND THEN YOU CAN SCREAM FOR ME.


Simon: "I think the sliding kind of distracted from the song, so I can understand why you did that. The problem was that it was completely silly...You've got zero chance of winning right now."


But Let's Be Real: See above. Didn't do anything for him tonight. Maybe learn the moonwalk? That automatically cancels the vocals out. What It Is: C


Contestant: Aaron Kelly

Laryngitis & Tonsillitis! Congrats. Aaron looks like he's balding nearly as much as I am. The sylists on this show don't seem to be doing much for him either.


It's I Don't Want to Miss A Thing by Aerosmith. This could actually be very good...depending on how gently he approaches it. If it's too abrasive, it could be pretty lame.


Does anybody think he sounds a little like Savage Garden? I don't really get the Justin Timberlake that one of the judges thought he sounded like a few weeks ago. Getting into the chorus, I think he's just slightly under pitch consistently. Why is he off with the backgrounds? No - bridge is a fail. Again, this is a song that is kind of too big for a 2 minute snippet. It's not bad per se...just a little unprofessional & grody sounding.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "Coupla pitch things...let me tell you something, thank God you came on the stage and started singing because the two before you... I like you."

Ellen: "You're pretty much always pitch perfect." I didn't think so...?

Kara: "Best song choice of the night. Week to week you really know how to pick a song that accentuates the strength in your voice. More stage presence."


GUITAR PLAYER IN THE BACKGROUND WHO ARE YOU?


Simon: "Very brave. I think for your age, you're making yourself old fashioned. But there is zero chance you are going to go home."


Aww comparing Aaron Kelly to David Archuleta. How perfectly ridiculous, Ryan.


But Let's Be Real: It's great that he can do what he can at such a young age, but in the end it's going to make a difference that he's not really technically there. What It Is: B-


Contestant: Crystal Bowersox

She needs a pick me up this week.


Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin. One of my favorite songs ever. And a great girl to do it. I don't like seeing it shortened to American Idol length though. Crystal is looking prettier each week! Hollywoodized. I hope she's not too angry about it.


Crystal tends to slow these songs down so that she can play her acoustic with it. That's OK, but it doesn't do the same thing for me that Janis' version does. Once it picks up, it's real good. She's very comfortable with it & she has the power to pull it off. Try singing this song...it is not an easy thing to do! Overall, a great interpretation of a great song.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "That's what it's about. I'm so happy now. She's what it's about"

Ellen: "I was driving the other day and this came on the radio and I thought you should sing it. The one thing...you need a little more connection...these people love you: take it in and respond."

Kara: "I did feel more...I saw you smiling, moving a little bit more. Would you ever consider putting a guitar down for a performance? I think you would get more into it and free yourself and I want you to let go completely even more than this week."

Simon: "I wouldn't change anything. I've heard Pink sing a version of that song, and that was one of the best versions I've ever heard, and that was as good as that."


But Let's Be Real: Crystal is good. I think that until she can really do something creative though, she's not going to make any legit progress to becoming the clear favorite. She needs to do something that people won't recognize & make it phenomenal. I guess Billboard #1's makes that hard, huh. Still a truly great vocal. What It Is: A-


Contestant: Mike Lynche

He sounds a lot like Ruben (that isn't racist is it?) . The difference is that I never liked Ruben & I love Mike and consider him a favorite to win.


Mmmm sexy piano starting it out. When A Man Loves A Woman. Good choice. Are they all just chilling with different instruments and switching on and off? The kick into full band here is not very powerful - what is it with the old fashioned feel from the band tonight? It's not Big Band Night! A perfect money note from Mike Lynche - compare him to the other guys in the competition & he is miles ahead in terms of natural vocal ability. It's effortless...doesn't make you question the integrity of the notes. A great vocal performance - I didn't care for the arrangement & wasn't particularly moved, but nonetheless - good.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "Don't think it was your best vocal, but you know who you are. I loved it"

Ellen: "I did feel like it was a safe choice. You have an amazing tone. This woman loves that man." K.

Kara: "Technically it was really good...but I felt it was a bit boring and loungey at times. Overdid it. Too many riffs."

Simon: "Kara I kind of know what you're saying. You wanted one scoop of ice cream and got eleven. No disrespect, but I would have taken all this stuff off the stage (referring to every instrument except the piano."


But Let's Be Real: Again, Mike kind of sticks with the status quo this week. Luckily, the status quo for him is definitely in the top three or four. What It Is: B+


Contestant: Andrew Garcia

Are you really still here Andrew? He is legitimately last month's news, and I don't really see it changing. He's going to stick around until there isn't anybody with a worse natural talent & everybody truly forgets "Straight Up."


I Heard It Through The Grapevine. A good song! But for a girl. What else is new here Andrew? He looks incredibly awkward on stage. Are his eyes open? I'm not sure what he's doing with his hands. Wow, he just attempted the moonwalk but the camera missed it. I don't know for sure if that is disadvantageous for him or not.


Is he putting on weight? During the Top 12 Run? No way...


Alright...it's really not that it's a bad vocal. It's just boring & strange & meaningless. He didn't seem remotely involved in what he was doing.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "Dawg, it wasn't good. Wrong song choice, because this is not the type of vocalist you are."

Ellen: "That was not enough to get a hold bunch of people on board who are kind of teetering right now." A negative comment muddled by useless positive babble, as usual.

Kara: "I feel bad for you. You are chasing that moment ("Straight Up" during Hollywood Week), and it's messing wtih your head." She brings up the hand motions.

Simon: "It may be that we just overrated that moment. I think you've had enough time to sort it out. You sucked the life out of one of the best pop songs of all time"


But Let's Be Real: Simon is spot on..."Straight Up" was overrated, and didn't represent who Andrew really is. The producers hyped it up to be this amazingly creative performance that was really just a fluke - Andrew doesn't have anything in store for us. He'll stay until nobody cares about that one moment anymore, and then it's back to the bars. He is simply not meant for this stage. What It Is: C-


Contestant: Katie Stevens

Another girl that just seems out of place here. She's the only legit pop girl left, and she's not a very notable one at that. Remember when the producers tried to make her out as the top girl during the first semi-finals performance?


I think this is a good song choice for her. Big Girls Don't Cry. She is able to use that deeper quality in her voice. Kind of Christina Aguilera-ish. Definitely pitchy...this song is also melodically challenged to begin with. She's making it worse by trying to riff it out. The issue is that the riffs do not match with that deeper quality. As a result, this performance is worthless for her. Sorry, Katie.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "I don't know if it was your best performance, but you actually listened to us and picked a younger song. I'm liking that your listening." Sure

Ellen: "I think it was your best performance so far. You're like the Dakota Fanning of American Idol"

Kara: "This is the lane for you. Pop with R&B leanings."

Simon: "I think you meeting Miley Cyrus was probably the best thing that could have happened to you. Do I however believe that you are believable in this area - I'm not sure. Having said that, it was a good performance."


But Let's Be Real: OK, it's better than anything she has done during the live shows. But it's still not worth anything. I suppose the Screaming Teens will like her. Congrats Screaming Teens. What It Is: C+


Contestant: Casey James

Casey is the contestant that frustrates me the most this season. Almost as much as Bucky Covington in season 5, but not quite. He's got a pretty good voice, but the world doesn't need another Nickelback or Creed. He's their love child.


Power of Love. Whatever. The judges are going to think it was great. I don't have too much to say. I think he looks dumb with his Lord of the Rings Wizard hair. It is definitely a technically perfect performance though...it's hard to knock him on anything. I just don't like it I say!


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "You now I'm a fan of yours. I wasn't a fan of the song choice but oyu definitely did it well."

Ellen: "Same here, but I think it was the best vocal of the night."

Kara: "We're just talking anotehr lvel. You're just ready to make an album. It just gets better and better and better."

Simon: "Casey I promise you, this is not personal. But that song was old fashioned 25 years ago when it came out. It was like watching and listening to an 80's cover band. No effort, no originality. Maybe it's just me." Nah


But Let's Be Real:: Casey is going to stick around for a while - nothing more needs to be said at this point. Whether he makes it to the top four will depend on the two or three weeks before, & that's all. What It Is: B


Contestant: Didi Benami

I like Didi a lot...but you have to admit, you could confuse her voice with more than a few current artists (Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor...) I think that Didi has been in the upper half of the top 12 up to this point - whether people realize it or not.


You're No Good. I love this song - and it isn't long to begin with, so it should be good for an American Idol Shortening. It's starting out acoustic - nice. What is with the band tonight?? It's slow & big band-esque...why?? Did all the contestants really ask to have their songs arranged this way?


This is an OK performance - I wish the arrangement was more emotionally driven - because this song can be really powerful & forceful. Not so here. Her facial expressions are just a little immature...


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "I love the idea of it...but the pitches were all over the place."

Ellen: "I don't get the song choices tonight."


"I loved it!" Random girl in the audience who has contributed so much to our lives.


Kara: "It just left me confused."

Simon: "There was a certain irony to you calling out 'You're no good...you're no good...you're no good... It didn't sound like you." Simon did not remember Lacey's name...told you.


But Let's Be Real: I'm afraid people aren't going to care enough about Didi to vote for her this week. Being forced to perform a pop number AND making it twangy & slow just wasn't a good decision, and it did not allow her to show off her vocal strengths - or individuality. What It Is: C-


Contestant: Siobhan Magnus

Siobhan is my favorite so far this season, and I'm not surprised that the producers chose to put her last this week. My feeling is that she has something special in store tonight.


Here's the Stevie number - Superstition. I did this song when I was a sophomore in high school & I've always wished I had put some more umph into it. I don't think she's about to make the same mistake.


Yes ma'am, Siobhan. Your changing style is matching your development as a contestant. It's like Sanjaya but with a good voice. I feel like this is a true American Idol performance. It's a little pitchy, but it's unique and powerful and fun. It's what you would expect to see from the show if you had never seen it and just turned it on.


The Three Mouths & the Brain:

Randy: "I loved it. You just went for it. You have so much conviction."

Ellen: "OH SIOBHAN TO QUOTE OLIVER MORE PLEASE MORE PLEASE" and such

Kara: "You express yourself everytime you perform, and I love that about you."

Simon: "I think there's gonna be a real split with you on this one. Some people are going to love it and others are going to hate it. The screaming is becoming your thing, but I think you need to switch it up."


To everyone, Simon says: "You've got to start pushing yourselves. Tonight, for me, was not a good night overall."


But Let's Be Real: I think it was good. But not her best, & also probably not as good as what she can do & will do later this season. What It Is: B+



My Eyes & Ears:

Crystal Bowersox A-

Siobhan Magnus B+

Mike Lynche B+

Lee Dewyze B

Casey James B

Aaron Kelly B-

Katie Stephens C+

Tim Urban C

Didi Benami C-

Andrew Garcia C-

Paige Myles F

0 comments:

Post a Comment