Tuesday, April 20, 2010

For Real: American Idol Top Seven

With the all the correct people off the show so far (in the finals), everything points to Aaron Kelly & Tim Urban each getting the cut during the next two weeks, & tonight was their opportunity to shake it off. The theme was inspirational songs - AKA, if the contestant wanted to, and they did it right, they could create a "finale moment" for themselves six weeks before the actual finale occurs.

Contestant: Casey James
Is anybody else sensing a little Taylor Hicks in Casey James? It had never crossed my mind before now, but I hear some of it...as in, an unmarketable voice with some annoying qualities, fronting a personality & image that everybody and their mother loves. Taylor sang "Don't Stop," & I'd rank in middle of the road for what I've heard from him. With a song like that, you can't really do much...it's pretty straightforward and boring. He still has that annoying vibrato, but it wasn't as bad on an upbeat song as this was. His guitar solos were good enough & did add a little.
But Let's Be Real: It's hard for me to give a legitimate critique on Casey, because I don't think he's good. I understand that he is likable & that many people love his voice - I respect that. I think, however, that this song might have been just average enough to land him in the bottom three tomorrow.
What It Is: C

Contestant: Lee DeWyze
Lee looked very nervous before he sang his song tonight. He knew there was a lot at stake in terms of keeping himself in the upper tier in America's eyes. He sang "The Boxer," which was a pretty good song choice for him. He took it seriously and tried his best to convey the meaning of the song. It was mostly good, but unfortunately he sounded much too whiny on the chorus ("liee la liee") to allow the song to leave a comfy feeling in America's heart. Once again, Lee fails to embrace the power of dynamics. Everything is too loud and growly.
But Let's Be Real: With these types of performances, Lee isn't really "amazing" us with his voice...much like Crystal. Still, he is definitely a true artist, and he does have the voice in him.
What It Is: B

Contestant: Tim Urban
Tim sang "Better Days" by Goo Goo Dolls - at the surface it seemed that an inspirational alternative rock song would have been a great match for Tim. I think that the song did match his tone, but his voice was uneven throughout. He may have been nervous, or just not properly supporting himself. But instead of soothing the audience, he just kind of left them on edge from the impurities in his voice.
But Let's Be Real: On inspirational night, you have to be make a difference in the audience's hearts. I don't think he really did that.
What It Is: C-

Contestant: Aaron Kelly
Aaron sang "I Believe I Can Fly," and it was my favorite performance from him so far. If he could just get rid of the choppy, irregular vibrato, I think we would really have something with him. As it was though, he had a good build & pulled it off with surprising strength. Aaron is starting to be like what would you would have expected the American Idol from season 1 to be (skinny & young with all pop & no soul). Do not try to twist this statement to describe Kelly Clarkson in any way, shape, or form.
But Let's Be Real: Aaron has an appeal to some part of this country that's been pretty strong so far this season - stronger than Tim's anyway. I think that combined with the fact that he actually laid down a decent performance this week will keep him safe.
What It Is: B+

Contestant: Siobhan Magnus
Siobhan sang "When You Believe," which is an enormous risk for any contestant to take (not just because it was originally done by Mariah & Whitney). I thought it was just OK - I like her soft voice, but I don't love it as much when there isn't the big voice there to counter it. I think the "shriek" is her trademark, and I think it's alright for her to throw it in as long as she has the soft too (as she did last week). I do believe that the song probably affected a lot of Americans though - it was a true performance that created a connection.
But Let's Be Real: Siobhan is talented, but I think she showed tonight that she is still missing major chunks in her journey to become a real artist. She seems to be a little bit shaky & it still seems like she is just arbitrarily picking songs each week, instead of being a stylized talent that chooses songs that will fit into the collective repertoire. I hope that she is safe tonight so that she can continue to figure that out.
What It Is: B

Contestant: Michael Lynche
I think Michael chose a mostly awful song for his voice, "Hero" by Nickelback. This is the song that Casey should have chosen. Mike sounds good singing anything, but I think this was just too random to really mean anything for him or for the audience. He is still the best vocalist here though.
But Let's Be Real: When Mike picks the right songs, he is the best. I don't think he should try to perform a song that lacks soul again, however. It doesn't do anything for anyone.
What It Is: B

Contestant: Crystal Bowersox
I am starting to seriously wonder why the producers put her at the end so much. I didn't think they were in the business of promoting a contestant so heavily.

Crystal sang "People Get Ready," with no instrument. That in itself was a really good choice. The guitar was starting to seem like a crutch - literally, because it gave her an excuse not to move her hands or body. Tonight, she connected in a serious way, laying down what I would call her greatest vocal ever. It was tender and delicate, with just the right amount of power. The a cappella in the beginning & the freedom she had with her body throughout really allowed her to express the entire story through her voice (instead of losing some of it in the guitar).
But Let's Be Real: The "step up" I've been saying Crystal needs to take in order to stay fresh happened tonight. She may have been the only contestant tonight that really took advantage of inspirational night.
What It Is: A+

My Breakdown:
Crystal Bowersox A+
Aaron Kelly B+
Michael Lynche B
Lee DeWyze B
Siobhan Magnus B
Casey James C
Tim Urban C-


So What? I'm not sure what will happen with the bottom 3 tomorrow - either way one of the "big five" (Crystal, Michael, Lee, Siobhan & Casey) will be in it. I do think Tim will be the one going home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment